Identical to Phileas Fogg's fictional journey. Err ... Except it takes a different route, takes a bit longer, and only goes half way.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

China: Way of the Dragon


"I sailed down the river, and killed five hundred niggers"

Inappropriate song lyrics from the school textbook, which I'm supposed to teach the kids

CHINA: WAY OF THE DRAGON
I have had a strong word with the headmistress about the lyrics of one of the songs in our textbooks, which I said was entirely inapproprate, particularly for children. I also threatened to walk out, but didn't in the end.

The kids are great, and its good to work with them. They are talking in a foreign language all of their working day, and still work really hard. They have to put on a play for the closing ceremony, and they've written and learnt all the words, which really impressed me. They've translated them directly from the Chinese, so one of their suggestions was "Snow queen and the seven little people."

I went to visit Tiananmen Square the other evening (a bit of a trek as I'm out in the suburbs here). It is of course full of people flying kites, and people wandering round - it's the biggest square in the world. Mao's face looms over you as you wander round, as it does everywhere.

I still find it slightly shocking that Mao Zedong is treated with such reverence. The official Chinese version of events over the 'Great Leap Forward' seems to be this:

"Well, Mao is responsible for the deaths of 2 million people. But we all make mistakes. And he does have a nice smile".

Nowhere in Germany or Russia would you see Hitler or Stalin treated in anywhere near the same way, and I know they are very different situations but the comparison is still valid. I should note in passing that those imprisoned in the Tianneman Square protests are still in jail, 16 years. Clearly freedom of speech and democracy are dangerous ideas which should be beaten out of people.

Anyway, I must say that whatever qualms I have about the government, the teaching is going well.

I'm getting into the swing of things now with my class. I'm really enjoying teaching, and I get on very well with the group. As I'm the oldest teacher I've been given the most able group, and they are an absolute joy to teach.

Hope all is well in the UK,

Mike

PS Have a heard a few things about the Chatham House controversy, but not of course through the media or the internet as everything is censored.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home